Tuesday, September 1, 2009

6 Hours and Counting...

As I pack my snacks for the next 48 full hours of traveling, I can't help but think back to all it's taken to get this dream to become a reality: Immunization shots, Malaria pills, convincing my folks I wasn't nuts, camera equipment malfunctions, more equipment malfunctions, dying my hair darker, selling necklaces out of the trunk of my car, reading up on the region, and an unbelievable out-pouring of support and prayers. I am so blessed that most of my friends and family went from the reaction of "You're going where?" to now pushing sales for these Light Gives Heat necklaces on all their friends, family, and co-workers.
I think the important part to remember about the organization is that it's a two-part mission. Half of the goal is to help empower these Ugandan women to provide for themselves and their families. Because a consistent income can make a world of difference for their children's education, their families' well-being, and health-care. But the flip-side of the coin is that Light Gives Heat tries to heighten the awareness of Americans who often times lose sight of how the majority of the world lives. And the unbelievable truth is that in the face of all their struggles, poverty, and history of violence in the country, these women probably have a better, wiser, more hopeful outlook on life and what matters.
I hope to act as a liaison (as well as a videographer, a volunteer, and a friend) between the two polar cultures. Helping these 120 women to meet their basic needs, while helping to bring the joy and strength they possess to those of us who have our basic needs met, but are missing out on a hopeful perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, and thanks for being willing to look outside yourself. Nothing about the next few months will be easy or exactly like you thought it would be, but know that you being changed in the midst of it all is just as important as the women we work with lives being changed. thanks for the example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, thank you for including me on your journey by way of blogging. I just wanted to let you know that I know a friend of Rachel Stroud's. Her name is Jeanine Chinn. It is a small world after all!

    Take care and God Bless. Love, Gloria

    ReplyDelete