Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Wilson Aunties of Uganda

There are many influential women in my life; my Grandma Renner, my best friends, spiritual and career mentors, my aunts Jean and Anne, my pseudo-mom Suzie B., and my sister-in-law Lauren. I am blessed to be surrounded by so many strong, compassionate God-fearing women. But there is one group of 7 women who have acted as Mother Geese since I was just a chick. The Wilson women. Big lips, big booties, loud voices and even larger than life personalities.
These days I am surrounded by 90 women on a daily basis. Women who have been raised in villages in a third world country. Women who have never heard of Oprah, Dr. Phil, or gone out to coffee just to “catch-up.” These women on the surface wouldn’t have anything in common with the women I run with. Yet as their stories unfold and their personalities come to light, I realize a day spent with Suubi women is like a day spent with my Wilson aunties. (And it’s not just because most of these Suubi women also have big lips, big booties, loud voices and personalities to match.)
Here I highlight the 7 Wilson women and the Suubi women I believe to be their African counter-part:

Mother Hen Grandma Ruth as Prisca
Grandma Ruth raised 9 kiddos on a meager income. She pinched, she scrounged, and she stretched each meal to feed 11 hungry mouths. Grandma Ruth is the matriarch of the rowdy Wilson crew. I found her match in Prisca. Prisca is one of the founding members of Suubi. From day one she has been loyal to the organization and has taken on a leadership role. Prisca is currently raising 10 kids, some of her own and some of her grandchildren.




Eldest Daughter Lorinda as Grace
Auntie Lori lets me be her little helper. I get to be her side-kick when hosting parties, wrapping presents, or power washing the garage. Miss Grace is her kindred-spirit. I spent a day with Grace and noticed like Lorinda, Grace can also roll up her sleeves for a hard day’s work. She let me cook next to her, clean dishes with her, and varnish beads together. She and Lorinda together could make a very efficient duo around the house or in the boardroom.






My mom Shelley: Janet
I know my mom will be offended by this choice for her based on the picture, because Janet has some masculine features and my mom always says she looks more like a Wilson boy than a Wilson girl….but that is not why I paired them together. Janet and my mom both have entrepreneurial spirits. My mom started a business from her basement 15 years ago and today it has grown and is still running strong. Janet has taken advantage of any opportunity she can to run a business out of her home. She manages the town’s water supply and collects payment from neighbors. And because Janet has easy access to water and millet (a corn staple), Janet brews her own beer and sells it to neighbors. Janet rents a TV when there’s a good futbol match on, and operates a makeshift town saloon right out of her shed. Both Janet and my mom are inspirations of ingenuity and perseverance.






Auntie Brab (I mean Barb) as Jaznita
Jaznita was the first Suubi woman I met, and you may remember from an earlier blog entry that she cooked up a chicken for us for lunch. Auntie Brab let me spend countless hours at her house as a little girl. She is a hostest with the mostest. (It must be a Wilson women thing) She throws party like it’s her job, and redecorates her home to mirror the latest Home and Garden magazine. Auntie Barb dresses to the nines, and Jaznita is known as the most fashionable Suubi woman.








Auntie Kim as Anetti Aunt Kim and Anetti are twins separated from the Atlantic. They are both daring in their fashion sense (Kimmy loves leopard and just look at what Anetti is wearing!) Anetti’s husband has a co-wife that she is very jealous of, just as Aunt Kimmy has to share her main squeeze Uncle Mike with the golf course!


Auntie Dede (Dianne) as Lillian
Lillian has the nickname as Pastor Lillian around Suubi. She is always praising Jesus for all the blessings in her life and can turn her amazing life story into more of a preaching opportunity. My aunt Dianne has always been very willing to share her faith life with anyone she meets. She speaks openly about how the Lord is involved in her life. Lillian is 7 months pregnant…Dianne is NOT.







Auntie Amy as Florence
I have met Amy’s match in Florence. Both women are self-educated. Aunt Amy has always taken a liking to learning as much as possible and teaching others she knows. Just name a classic novel and Amy will be your live version of Cliff’s Notes. This Suubi woman Florence is our star pupil in English class. She sits in the back of class, and can answer every question right. Sometimes we have to say,” Anyone but Florence?”






In the Ugandan culture a term of respect for a woman is to call her Auntie. So when these women call me Auntie Kate, I laugh because for the next 2 months I get to be a part of the cool “Auntie clan,” I’ve always loved so dearly.

2 comments:

  1. Kate, Tears in my eyes from such a fine tribute to your "Aunties". Now you have even more Aunties around the world. They always say we do have a twin somewhere in the world. I guess you found mine for me!!!! Loved hearing about the lives and kindred spirit of your new friends. Tell Grace, since we are so alike that I will keep her in my daily thoughts for a lifetime of health, prosperity and love.
    Auntie Lorinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, dear Kate - what marvelous parallels you've drawn between the Wilson women and the Suubi women. It's interesting that we are all alike - even though we come from very different cultures and economic conditions. It takes a village . . . may God continue to bless you and keep you safe . . .
    Love,
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete